– “The Criminalization of Poverty in the Late Ottoman Empire, 1876-1914,” Outcasts in the Late Ottoman Empire, The Oriental Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 4-5 December 2017, Prague, Czech Republic.
– “History of Social Policy in Turkey,” How Social is Turkey? Turkey’s Social Security System in a European Context, Institute for World Society Studies, Bielefeld University, May 18-19 2017, Bielefeld, Germany.
– “Taxation and Rule in the Ottoman Empire: A Comparative Perspective on 19th century Fiscal Policy.” The Middle East Un/Rebound: Crisis, Responses and Recovery over the Long Duree (1100-1200), Queen’s University Department of History, April 28, 2017. Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
– “Privatized Revenue Collection and the Making of a Modern Centralized Public Finance System: The Case of Nineteenth-Century Ottoman Empire (1839-1908)”, Workshop on Ottoman Public Finance and Taxation in the “Long” 19th Century, A Comparative Perspective, Boğaziçi University, April 1-2, 2016, Istanbul, Turkey.
– “Capitalism Unleashed? Social Policy and Hate of Rich in the 1960s,” Turkey in the 1960s: Social Change and Political Radicalization, Hamburg University Turkish Studies Department, June 26-28, 2014, Hamburg, Germany.
– “Jön Türk Devrimini Hazırlayan Koşullar: Rumeli’de Vergi Tahsilatı ve Asakir-i Zabtiye,” Meşrutiyet’in 100. Yıldönümü ve Makedonya, Makedonya Bilimler ve Sanatlar Akademisi, 17-21 Aralık 2008, Üsküp, Makedonya.
– “Osmanlı’dan Günümüze Türkiye’de Dilenciliğin Toplumsal Algılanışı” Bir Kent Sorunu: Dilencilik, Sorunlar ve Çözüm Yolları, İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi Zabıta Daire Başkanlığı, 18-19 Ekim 2008, İstanbul.
– “Internal Security and the Ottoman Provincial Police Organization (1876-1908),” International Conference on New Approaches to the Nineteenth Century Middle East and Balkans,” January 12-13, 2007, Chiba University, Tokyo, Japan.
– “The Peasants and the Ottoman Gendarmerie: Dispute Resolution in the Rural Context, 1876-1909,” 10th International Congress of Economic and Social History of Turkey, September 28-October 1 2005, Venice-Italy.
– “Governing the Countryside: Gendarmerie in the Nineteenth-Century Ottoman Empire,” Social Politics in the Middle East: A Symposium in Honor of the Late Historian, Mine Ener, The Middle East Center-University of Pennsylvania, 9-1 April 2004.
– “Defining the Public Sphere in the Late Ottoman Empire, 1876-1918,” Central Eurasian Studies Society Fourth Annual Conference, October 2-5, 2003, Cambridge-Massachusetts, USA.
– Comments on the paper “Limits to Globalization: Welfare States and the World Economy” presented by Stephan Leibfried (University of Bremen, Germany) in “Workshop on Economic Reform, New Politics and Social Justice”, June 6-7 2003, Bogaziçi University, Istanbul-Turkey, 6-7 June 2003
– “Governing the ‘new poverty’: Restructuring the Welfare System in Turkey” paper presented at the workshop on “The Socio-economic Dimensions of Poverty in West Asia and North Africa”, Middle East Awards for Population and Social Science (MEWARDS), Rabat-Morocco, 13-15 May 2003.
– Voluntary Initiative, Philanthropic Publics, and the Hamidian Regime, 1876-1908”, Crossing Borders: Revitalizing Area Studies. International Institute-University of Michigan, Cultural Politics Workshop, İstanbul, Turkey, May 27-June 1, 2001.
– Ottoman Labor History Workshop at Kevorkian Center of NYU, New York-USA, 24 March 2001.
– “The Politics of Pediatrics: The Imperial Hospital for Children, 1899-1909”, Middle East Studies Association, 2000 Annual Meeting, November 16-19 2000, Orlando, FL-USA
– “Imperial Gifts and Sultanic Legitimation During the Reign of Sultan Abdülhamid II, 1876-1909”, Poverty and Philanthropy, University of Michigan, 4-7 May 2000, Ann Arbor, MI-USA.
– “The State and the Poor: Beggars and Vagrants in the Late Ottoman Empire, 1876-1914”, Middle East Studies Association, 1999 Annual Meeting, November 20-22 1999, Washington, D.C-USA.
– “From Pan-Turkism to Asianism: The Activities of Abdurresid Ibrahim in the Young Turk Period”, Bogazici University Symposium on the History of Japanese-Turkish Relations, October 7-9, 1998, İstanbul/Turkey.